Compilation of enzyme-modifier mechanisms
Although all seventeen basic kinetic mechanisms by which enzymes interact with their modifiers have been amply documented in the literature, recognizing their identity is not always straightforward. The reasons span between inconsistent nomenclature, dissimilar mechanisms pooled under the same name (with noncompetitive inhibition leading the inventory), to missing documentation.
The pages in this section contain a compilation of published studies on enzyme inhibition and activation. This is neither a database, nor the lists are intended to cover all published results, an unmanageable task. Updates may follow by appending new, representative examples to those already existing. Besides presenting the basic modifier mechanisms individually, a handy, searchable table (LIST OF ALL EXAMPLES) summarizes all items.
Independently of nomenclature, all papers featured in this section provided sufficient documentation and sound experimental evidence for assigning kinetic mechanisms without ambiguity. When their identity could not be understood at a glance, data presented in graphical or tabular form were investigated to reveal the nature of the underlying interactions between enzymes and their modifiers.
Comments are shown below the tables, followed by the references in alphabetical order and numbered for practical reasons. The references are linked to PubMed, where in many cases full text links (often free) are provided. The structural formulas of some modifiers and substrates are provided.
Each example, in one row, shows the following information in seven columns:
- Progressive number of the entries for internal cross reference
- Enzyme names as recommended by the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (IUBMB) and BRENDA, followed by the name of the organism asGenus species
- Name of the modifier
- Name of the substrate, always the varied substrate to which inhibition or activation refers
- Name of the mechanism as specified in the original reference
- Reference as first author and publication year